Home > Members > Projects : CYB Awards of the Year : CYB Nomination Form: Nomination Details > Minutes > Forms
Note: Chamber members will receive an official email ballot to cast their vote. The general public can also vote in the Peoples Choice ballot. Happy CYB of the Year!
For Citizen of the Year:
- Craig Bennett Craig has served Magrath for years as Fire Chief for decades and currently as EMS worker. He is a willing volunteer and shares his talents in singing at many community events.
- Charlie Bly - He works at the Magrath Coop (see below) and Charlie will do anything to help out our town!
- Leonard Bourne Leonard has been a very dedicated, reliable worker for the Town of Magrath. He has taken care of our parks and Arena for 37 years. Leonard retires this coming year and I think he should be recognized for all his hard work throughout our community.
- Alan and Patricia Dudley Alan had worked tirelessly in this community in many, many capacities. He has served as mayor in the town for many years and is currently serving as President of the Magrath Museum. Allan has a special gift to reach out and involve the masses in projects and help us realize that our contributions can make a difference. Patricia is beside him every bit of the way working with him and supporting him while he serves Magrath. Their home is continually opened up to the community.
- Mary Yvonne Hohm Although she has recently had to move into Lethbridge to take care of her ailing husband, Yvonne has been a fantastic member of our community. She's provided years of service as a minister of the United Church, in the Scouts/Cubs programs, as well as helping youth improve their talents in the area of Speech and Dramatic Arts. These are just three of the areas I've mentioned but she has been involved in much more that builds a community but also helps to build greater lives. This lady has done more for our community than anyone takes notice. She not only has been involved in speech, but she once worked closely with the school to help people who had troubles. She also was the minister of the United Church here in Magrath, and traveled to other towns as well. Her loving service, and kind words is all anyone in this town should inspire to be. Now at 87 years old, she is still teaching, instructing, and preaching through our small town, and surrounding areas.
- Mary Ann Jones This person is amazing she gives and shares everything she has with everyone. She always has a smile regardless of how she might feel with her own health. She is the source of much inspiration for anyone who knows her. She goes out of her way to make you feel welcome in Magrath and in her neighborhood She is a widow of about five years but that hasn't stopped her from reaching out and helping anyone she knows. She gets involved with many things but doesn't like to be in the lime light so her many acts of service go unnoticed. I think she deserves this award
- Fred Stocker We would like to nominate Mr.Stocker. He is always ready to jump and drop what ever he is doing when a neighbor needs help. Whether it be plowing snow, raking leaves, making up a part that couldn't be found in Lethbridge for you on a moments notice, or just being a good listener. Fred is well known for his Christmas light show. I know everyone in town waits for the lights to go on and he definitely brings the spirit of Christmas to our town by his contribution. We feel Fred is an outstanding citizen in Magrath and deserves this award for always putting forth an effort to improve our town and make it a better place to live.
- Dennis and Shawna Strong They have managed and run the Magrath Triathlon race each year for 10 years. It is a good event fo rthe community and bring awareness to our community and also brings in lots of racers and their families to our town.
- Donna Thompson - Long time resident of Magrath, Donna has been involved with so many organizations such as Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Museum, Library and Quilting Club. She is a great and helpful person. I am sure she also keeps busy in her church.
For Youth of the Year:
- Austin Bennett Austin is a busy Grade 11 student. An accomplished violinist, he is found performing at many events. His family often found singing at Good Sams or Diamond Willow with him. He works summers cutting grass for many of you and keeps busy with school and sports activities, currently in Volleyball.
- Adrien Davies Adrien is Grade 10 representative on school council, serves on Seminary Council as the Grade 10 rep this year, She is accomplished flute and piano player (not at the same time, yet) and also performs in school and community choirs. She keeps busy with Voice, Flute, and Piano lessons but has had to cut back on Clogging this year.
- Alyssa Doig Alyssa is always involved and is extremely cheerful with whatever she is doing. She is a leader at both school and in her church. She helps ref junior basketball games, helps run tournaments, and is extremely supportive of any school events. She is very involved in her church and plays the prelude music every Sunday on the organ. Pick Alyssa!!
- Kurtis Kessler For the last 3 years, Kurtis has willingly done the sound and lights for the Elementary Christmas concert. He asks for nothing in return and puts up with the craziness of that process. Even this year, as he has been away at school, he has offered to do it again while home for Christmas. Thank you Kurtis! (He was under 18 for the first 2 years so he should still count as a youth)
- Alex Noad Alex on her own, went to the Diamond Willow and asked if she would be able to volunteer there. She still volunteers there 3 times a week and that turned into her being able to do work experience there this semester. Perfect She does a lot of church service...she did indexing throughout the summer at the family history center, she is first to volunteer to help at any activity we have, contributes at seminary with lots of wise answers...she walks every day and waves and smiles to all. She has an awesome smile for all. Alex has foresight to look for ways to help others, she makes a difference by being involved in our community
- Nicholas Perks I have known this young man for a while but it hasn't been until recently that I realized how awesome of a young man he is. He is very active in many sports;like soccer and basketball, and I think Volleyball. He used to play hockey as well. This is not the reason that I think he should be the youth of the year. He also does extremely well in school. He works at Roosters. But this inspiring young man is ALWAYS happy and is so willing to help anyone and to stand up for his friends and family. Actually he has been known to stand up fort kids that are getting bullied upon., even if he doesn't know them very well. He makes a stand for the right and he is amazing. I also love the super hugs he gives that just let you know that he cares. He is wonderful son to his parents, Steve and Rhonda Perks. He is the youngest child and loves his brother, Todd, and to his sister Jenna. He is the proud uncle of two . He is willing to help around town or wherever he is needed. He is a source of inspiration to many
- Derek Strate Derek has volunteered a lot in the area of sports and been a representative of our community in the United States playing baseball. He volunteered as a referee for basketball and volleyball this past year. He assisted his father Ron in coaching the Gr 7 girls volleyball team this yea to the school division title. This last summer he played baseball for the Lethbridge Elks American Legion Baseball team. Their league is in the State of Montana. He traveled through Alberta and Montana representing our town and nation in a positive and respectful manner. He was on of the top pitchers on the team and batted .300 as an outfielder. He also was voted by the other coaches in the high school basketball league to play in the high school all-star game as a Gr 11er, which is an amazing feat since most players are seniors. He is a fun, loving young man who loves to help others and is an honor roll student as well. He has represented out community well this year and will continue to do so in the future.
- Sam Tollestrup MHS Student Body President. Active and engaged in making this a good school year. Shaved his head to help raise funds and attention to the fight against cancer. An all round fun guy who tries to be a friend to all. Craig Bennett 28 yrs on Ambulance many years before that on Fire Dept and as Fire Chief. All around good guy
For Business of the Year:
- Canadian Security Systems Ross & Julia Moore. You will see their stickers on many doors around town and throughout southern alberta. Ross is supporter of Magrath Chamber of Commerce and spearheaded the Chamber Trade Show (Apr 2013 will be our 4th annual). Ross is active volunteer with church and community and still finds time to volunteer with the Chamber.
- Jenex Builders Wayne & Cynthia Harris have donated countless hours of their own time during the renovation of the museum. Wayne also donated the use of equipment and materials and went over and above what a usual contractor would do. He is very dedicated to this community. Cynthia has also worked very hard in getting the renovation done and ready for the grand opening. Jenex worked tirelessly to see that the Magrath Museum renovations were done by the deadline and on target. A large portion of their labor were donated as well as all of the drywall in the existing doctor's office, plus much, much more. Tens of thousands of dollars. Wayne and Cynthia truly gave of themselves to see this beautiful museum done and could be found working at any hour of the day. The museum will now stand as a beacon in our community for many years to come.
- LA Paving Rob Gough I go past the fish pond on my way home and numerous times have seen Rob and his crew working late trying to finish the new Magrath trail. He works hard to see this project through. He is a honest hard working small business owner. He may not have some fancy building on main street but customer service goes a long way.
- Magrath Co-op From the day we moved to town, the co-op has been the place to take our cars, lawnmowers and anything else we need fixed. Mona at the front is always so friendly and happy to see you, always calling you by name. The 'boys in the back' are efficient and accommodating to all of the crazy requests they get (fixing pull cords on the lawn mower every year). I have full confidence in the service they provide and will continue to support them with my vehicles. Service is outstanding. Always thank you for coming into the store. Go out of their way to please customers They are so wonderful and reasonable. Charlie will do anything to help out our town!
- Magrath Museum The dedicated Museum board has recently completed an extensive renovation with new signature tower entry and has had the Cenotaph relocated to their property.
- Magrath Pharmacy Arlen Bennett is often an unsung hero in our town. He is often willing to open the store late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, to fill a prescription for someone who is too ill to wait for regular business hours. He provides the services of a big city store, with the heart you can only find in a small town. The past year has brought numerous frustrations and challenges to the Pharmacies all over the Province. The Govt has made changes that have made it difficult to survive as a small town Pharmacy. The Bennetts continue to push ahead while continuing to offer great service to the people of Magrath. The Magrath Pharmacy is also a huge supporter/sponsor of Cultural events, sports,etc. They are always willing to sell tickets or hang a poster. I believe the time has come for the Magrath Pharmacy receive the Business of the Year Award. They are always helpful and it is a fun place to come shop at and see what great things are on sale ..
- Surex Insurance Lance Miller has recently expanded their online business headquarters and now employs many right here in Magrath
- Winks Winks has gone up and beyond the call of community. There is days you wander in on a minus 20 day and they will cheerfully hand you a hot chocolate to warm you up. For my graduation they gave out gift certificates to winks for grad presents. How many businesses in Magrath do that? Always giving service with a smile and I'm sure if you've bought a sub there. She will know your name and your sub order by heart just cause she cares. Please consider winks for business of the year! :) Have you ever been in WINKS? The people who own the business greet you by name, and are always so happy to see you. They make the best subs anywhere. The store is always filled with anything you might need. They love this community and are happy and sad with the rest of us for things that are going on in their lives. Even though they come from Korea, they have made it their best to try and speak English with and you and to understand you and to help.We love these hard working people. Great business and have won over all the school kids! Very accommodating to all. Always feel welcome when you walk in the door. They are always so kind to all the kids and adults in town