- Prior minutes
- Guest Speakers - Community Futures
- Guest Speakers - Starfield Center
- Chamber business
- Discuss possible Chautauqua speakers
- re advert in upcoming Recreation Guide - $160
- re invitation to upcoming Raymond Chamber trade show - 9 Apr 2016
- re new Chamber logo
- Other business as time permits
// 1.5 hr meeting, 2 hr website update
- Attending: J Mackenzie (Roosters), R Davies (SSDirect), J/R Moore (CanSec), S/B Sabey (CFP), J/T Sabey (Residential1), S Kornelson (ATB), 2 guest presenters (Community Futures), 3 guest presenters (Starfield Center), other guests from community (total attending = 21). Thank you to SASH for providing access to meeting area.
Minutes of last meeting Thu 23 Feb 2016 read by R Davies. Motion to accept by J Moore. Approved
- Guest presentation by Darlene Sinclair and Morley Belle of Lethbridge Community Futures. Consulting services, loans, training, programs, feedback available to local/potential business owners: "We provide a wide range of small business services and business management tools for people wanting to start, expand, franchise or sell a business. We also run a number of specialized business programs, organize exciting business events and actively work with community and business leaders to foster rural economic growth.". Also referenced ACCA.coop Alberta Community and Cooperative Association as potential method for funding community projects. This group could be invited to present at future meeting. Community Futures website is lethbridgeregion.albertacf.com
- Guest presentation by Lonnie Mesick and associates of Ag Spectra/Starfield Center (Magrath Greenhouse project). They are currently seeking investors and preparing for phase 1 of project - the first three (orchard/fruit/veggie) of proposed six building greenhouse complex to be built in 2016. Mr Mesick described some of their plans and goals. Questions addressed timeframes and plans for implementation, employment (expect to need 30 fulltime and 30 more fulltime equiv jobs starting mid 2016). What obstacles? Money: Local investment preferred, hope to raise 1.2 million from investment or co-op funding plus federal 1-1 matching grant with estimated 11 million per year gross profit when in full production. They plan to return 2% of those profits to town via Sustainability Board. Working on completion of Terms Sheet, Use of Funds document, and Securities Offering (not yet filed with Alberta Securities, but plan to once 50 investors obtained). Office at former Home Hardware location (behind Roosters) currently open M,W,F from 10am-4pm. Initial open house was held last month with about 100 attending. Next public open house scheduled for Sat 2 Apr 2016 with time TBA. Their website link is www.starfieldcentre.com
- Guest presenters thanked as many had to return home at this point. Chamber business continued:
- Noted cost for Doug Griffiths as guest speaker at Aug 2016 Chautauqua would be $5000. We will look elsewhere. Discuss further at future meetings.
- Discussed request to renew our ad in upcoming Magrath and Area Recreation Guide by Alexis Henniger at town office. Cost would be about $160. Motion to proceed by S Sabey. Approved
- President J Mackenzie noted invitation from Raymond Chamber to extend their chamber pricing to our members for the upcoming Raymond Trade Show on Sat 9 Apr 2016 9am-4pm with setup Fri 8th from 2-10pm. Cost for 8ft display table is $45 and 10ft display area is $75. Magrath Chamber members may contact Corey Rasmussen at 403-330-9057 to book space at their event.
- Proposed logo for Magrath Chamber by J Brame presented. Draft copy of same had previously been circulated to chamber members. Like the big M C and larger font for Magrath Chamber. Stylized tree design of Diamond Willow in background. Motion to accept this design as new chamber logo by R Moore. Approved with S Sabey abstaining. We will proceed with use of new logo in chamber media (letterhead, website, Trail signage, etc). Thank you to J Brame for his submission.
- R Moore presented a draft letter to current/potential chamber members inviting them to join and outlining some of the benefits of membership. Motion to approve its use by S Sabey. Approved.
- Ongoing discussion and comments on prior presentations. Some concerns raised pertaining to risk management and implications of actions requested to be taken. S Sabey suggested we get more information on the Co-op option and history of other local coops in town (Magrath Coop, 1st Choice, etc), noting need to prepare now for upcoming meetings given short time frame to start of their project. Questions raised on legal requirements on investments from borrowed funds (eg leveraged via ATB loan or other) vs direct investments from savings vs the Co-op/RSP eligible option. S Kornelson noted ATB willing to assist/enable but could not endorse any specific project (same for Chamber). J Mackenzie will inquire further.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm. Next meeting set for 1pm Thu 14 Apr 2016 at Magrath Town Hall.
// 1.5 hr meeting, 2 hr website update