Minutes Chamber of Commerce Meeting 7am Thu 26 Sep 2013 at Keyline
- In attendance: DT RD SS KH GP KP RM
- Minutes of last meeting were not kept, but SS noted discussion had centered on upcoming 'All Candidates Forum' and need to ensure good candidates were encouraged to run. KP had agreed to call all current members to remind them of upcoming events (she asked for and received a list of members from RD this past week).
- SS reported that the magnetic sign ordered/reading 'Chamber Invites You .. to All Candidates Forum' is now in place at north entrance to Magrath. SS/KH will update sign in front of Town Hall this week as well.
- Discussed handout prepared by SS with proposed dates for upcoming Chamber events. Gala date proposed for Sat 18 Jan 2013 at Magrath School Auditorium. Approved. Discussed need for early CYB of the Year nomination and selection. Decided cutoff at Hometown Christmas and do Chamber voting online by the 10 Dec with winners contacted by 16 Dec and public announcement by 19 Dec and tickets printed and on sale before end of Dec 2013. Approved.
- DT brought sample newsletter (from Coaldale Chamber) for discussion. It was agreed that we should consider this idea for better public communication here. The list of events and dates upcoming prepared by SS could be included in such a publication and in Chamber call out. RD agreed to draft copy for such a newsletter (see below). Discussed how best to handle a mail out. It was decided to prepare a one page insert for the next Garden City Communicator issue. In future, local advertising could be used and direct mailout considered. Discussed question of costs for this ad campaign. Agreed that DT could be asked to format and print the document for insert in Communicator with total expected costs under $300 for preparation, insertion and mailout. Approved.
- Discussed date for Spring Trade Show. RM proposed Sat 12 Apr 2014, discussed and agreed upon. RM, RS, RD, KH and GP/KP asked to serve on this committee. RD to ensure Lions Food Drive not in conflict with this date. RD will update website information accordingly.
- Discussed focus for Chamber as forum for helping to improve our Town and District in addition to improvements for local businesses. Agreed both are important.
- Reviewed assignments:
◦ KP for Chamber call out. Include questions on how best to contact and what issues to raise at All Candidates Forum.
◦ SS/KH to setup sign at Town Hall this week.
◦ BJ agreed to act as moderator at forum.
◦ RD/DT to prepare Newsletter Oct 2013 insert for Commentator.
◦ RM/RS to head Trade Show committee.
◦ RD to update website for online bookings (Hometown, CYB, Tradeshow), etc.
◦ JM to be asked re Hometown Christmas plans and use of Roosters for service fundraisers (per last year).
◦ JM/RD to ensure all candidates are formally invited to upcoming forum.
- Next Meeting set for Thu 7pm 24 Oct 2013 at Museum (if available).
Adjournment at 8:15am
- ** Sincere apologies to anyone who had this meeting booked for 7pm at Museum .. without minutes from last meeting, we missed the memo and neglected to update the previously scheduled meeting place and time on the website. RD **
Newsletter Oct 2013 (draft copy)
Magrath and District Chamber of Commerce Society
- All Candidates Forum 2013
Do you have issues of interest to the Town of Magrath you think should be discussed? Come hear what the 2013 Magrath Candidates have to say on Wed 9 Oct 2013 7pm at Magrath School Auditorium. Everyone is welcome to attend and participate. Sponsored by the Magrath Chamber of Commerce. Moderator: Bruce Jackson (1st Choice Credit Union). p.s. Don't forget to VOTE on Mon 21 Oct 2013
- 9th Annual Hometown Christmas 2013
Everyone in and around Magrath is invited to participate in our annual late night shopping and Christmas display event right here in Downtown Magrath from 6pm to 8:30pm Thu 5 Dec 2013. Highlights: Late Night Shopping, Craft Tables, Tree Lighting Ceremony .. Santa is Coming .. It's always great fun! Book your tables and events early at:
- Citizen/Youth/Business of the Year 2013
The Magrath and District Chamber of Commerce Society is very proud to sponsor the 2013:
• Magrath and District Citizen of the Year Award to be presented to the individual age 18 or better recognized as giving unselfishly to our vibrant community.
• Magrath and District Youth of the Year Award to be presented to an individual under age 18 demonstrating outstanding leadership and volunteer spirit.
• Magrath and District Business of the Year Award to be presented to the business or organization within our community deemed exceptional.
Nominations are now being accepted online and up to the evening of Hometown Christmas (at ATB and 1st Choice locations). Your nominees can be anyone: yourself, a business or club, a parent, a teacher, a respected member of the clergy, a local business person or community leader - you make the choice. Nominations are accepted from and for anyone in our community - including Magrath, Welling, Spring Coulee, Del Bonita - and can either be emailed to email@example.com, sent via our handy online nomination form or even just mailed to us at: Magrath and District Chamber of Commerce Society Vote 2013 c/o Box 1165 Magrath, AB T0K 1J0. Nominations for 2013 must be received before our nomination cutoff on 6 Dec 2013 (at the end of Hometown Christmas).
Chamber members vote vote the Citizen, Youth, and Business of the Year from nominations received by Tue 10 Dec 2013 and winners will be notified and announced on 19 Dec 2013. Traditionally our Citizen and Youth of the Year serve as Honorary Parade Marshall(s) in the Magrath Town Celebrations ('24th of July' Parade). We present and honour the winning CYB of the Year selections in our Chamber Awards Gala 2014 dinner.
- CYB Chamber Awards Gala 2014
Sat 18 Jan 2014 at the Magrath High School Auditorium we are planning a 'Holiday in the Tropics' Chamber Awards Gala . Great fun, food and entertainment honoring great people. Tickets are $20 per plate. Corporate sponsored tables are $175 (8 guests) and will be available for sale by Dec 2013 at ATB, 1st Choice or online.
Prior Year CYB Award Recipients were:
- Herb McKelvey - Citizen of the Year 2012
- Emalee Murphy - Youth of the Year 2012
- Magrath Home Hardware (Kirk Roe) - Business of the Year 2012
- Lion Elizabeth Olsen - Citizen of the Year 2011
- Shay Hoyt - Youth of the Year 2011
- Roosters Country Marketplace (Jay Mackenzie) - Business of the Year 2011
- Magrath Chamber Spring Trade Show 2014
Our 4th Annual Magrath and District Chamber of Commerce Trade Show will be held Sat 12 Apr 2014 at the Garth Veale Memorial Arena in Magrath, Alberta. Open to public Sat 10-4pm - Free Public Admission - Demonstrations - Entertainment - Concessions - For more information and to book your tables online see:
- Chamber Members 2013. Supporting Magrath!
Magrath Chamber Members in 2013 are:
• 1st Choice Savings & Credit Union
• ATB Financial - Magrath Branch
• Bikman, MLA Gary Bikman
• Canadian Security Systems Ltd. - Ross / Julia Moore
• Covered Wagon RV Park Ltd. - Wayne / Susan Hazelden
• Custom Windows and Doors Inc - Calvin & Michelle Heggie
• Duracon Inc - Kyle Harker
• G&K Parker Electric - Greg Parker
• Garden City Greenhouses - Cathy Beck
• Henderson Janitorial - Kyley Henderson
• Inline Ovals - Jamie McMahon
• JRB Woodworking - Jim Blumel
• Keyline Publishing - Duane Thomson
• Magrath Coop - Manager Randy Ripley
• Magrath Dental Center
• Magrath Pharmacy 2000 Ltd - Arlen Bennett
• Natural Way Clinic - Lydia Morton
• Residential One - Jim Anderson/Alan Dudley
• Roosters Country Marketplace - Jay Mackenzie
• SASH - Heather Johnson
• Shannon Sabey CFP
• Soft Serve Direct - Roger Davies
• South Country Self Storage - Grant Zobell
• Spencer Plumbing and Heating - Richard Spencer
• Thomson Livestock Ltd - Lise Thomson
Please consider supporting your local chamber members by shopping here in Magrath and District!