Home > Members > Projects > Minutes : 12 Mar 2019 > Forms
- Current Chamber Executive contact list can be viewed at magrathchamber.com/executive.html
Chamber of Commerce meeting Tue 12 Mar 2019 6:00pm at Belay Wealth office
Magrath, AB 6pm 12 Mar 2019 we met at Shannon Sabey's new office (Belay Wealth https://belaywealth.com/our-team ) for our Magrath Chamber of Commerce Society Annual General Meeting. Attending were Jay Mackenzie (Pres), Shannon Sabey, Bruce Jackson, Arlen Bennett, Roger Davies (Sec).
- First item of business was a discussion on the future of the Chamber. We see the Chamber as a valuable organization but we need a) more participating members, more new and more younger members b) less meetings, more online c) more activities of interest to chamber members and local business. In past, Chamber has been relegated to many more service-club type functions. General consensus is that we need to let the service-clubs do that and focus more on building and supporting business functions in Magrath. Many reasons to participate in a Chamber - networking, leads, guiding/working with local government, building the community, etc. Jay moved we continue 1 more year as presently constituted with a focus on a Reboot for 2020. All in favor. We will need a new executive for next year however.
- [8:47 AM] ssdirect: Arlen Bennett suggested we host a speaker on topic of interest to local business. Jay was asked to inquire if his son Josh might be available to discuss his recent work in social media and advertizing. All in favor. We will book the 'fishbowl' room at the Magrath Library. Roger and Arlen agreed to develop a list of potential attendees and new chamber members. It was suggested we consider charging a small entrance fee for this event ($5). Brad Sabey joined meeting for a time and provided insight to how new school facilities may be booked. ** follow up - Josh not available for this: we will pursue other ideas **
- Roger reported we had been approached by Mr Herb Mckelvey if we would be supporting the Citizen of the Year selection with money for the awards. All in favor of continuing that. Home Town Christmas event also discussed. Despite it being more of a community event, it does provide some benefit to local business. We will continue to support this event. Roger noted some success in using the Discord App for meeting notes and discussions. He will set (this site) up for Magrath Chamber use and post minutes there until approved. Will continue to update website as well. Roger ok to send out billing requests for 2019 dues to continuing members.
- Thanks to Shannon for use of her facility, her time and for the delicious cookies! Next meeting will be set as needed in May 2019. Other work will be reported here on Discord until then (ask R Davies for Invite Link). Motion to adjourn ok