Home > Members > Projects > Minutes : 2 Oct 2014 > Forms
- Next Meeting: 6:30pm Thu 6 Nov 2014 at Magrath Museum
- FYI Gala Committee meeting was held evening prior lead by S Sabey
- Prev Meeting: 4 Sep 2014
- Current Chamber Executive contact list can be viewed at magrathchamber.com/executive.html
MInutes of Magrath Chamber of Commerce Meeting – 6:30 pm Thu 2 Oct 2014 at Magrath Museum
In attendance: Chamber President D Thomson of Keyline, Chamber Vice President A Bennett of Magrath Pharmacy, Chamber Secretary R Davies of ssdirect.com, S Sabey of Shannon Sabey CFP, S Kornelson of ATB Financial, J Mackenzie of Roosters, and R Moore of Canadian Security Systems.
Call to order: 6:30 pm
1. Last meeting minutes not available (before summer break). Items to address from past meetings include a) membership drive 2015, b) gala plans, c) mormon trail bags/initiative (deferred), d) tourism: where to eat in magrath (awaiting submissions). Pres Thomson suggested that communication will be/is the biggest challenge in our town.
2. Calendaring: a) Hometown Christmas Thu 4 Dec 2014 downtown Magrath, b) Chamber Gala Sat 24 Jan 2015 at Magrath School Auditorium theme this year is 'Mardi Gras', c) we propose Chamber Tradeshow be held in conjunction with Magrath Stake Emergency Preparation Fair currently planned for Sat 18 Apr 2015 – reasoning: shared facility can be better filled (currently each event has lots of spare room), synergy (many people/organizations banks, etc do both, public attendance expected to be greater at one event vs many similar events, promotes 'working with the community'. d) Community Food Drive planned for week following Apr 20-24 flyer/bag distribution with Sat 25 Apr 2015 for pickup.
3. Discussed Gala plans. Will honor the Chamber Citizen/Youth/Business of the Year 2014. RD will prepare for nominations to end at Hometown Christmas. Voting procedures to be modified so that top three nominations in each category be selected by Chamber Executive prior to vote by Chamber membership. Nomination form to be upgraded to include reason for nomination (we need to focus on merit vs popularity). Work with Student Council at school to help get nominations for Youth of Year. Motion to revise voting procedures JM/SS All in favor.
SS reported she met with Gala committee last night. SS will work with JM on food plans. DT will produce the invitations. RD will update webpage information. SS plans decorated golf cart at Hometown Christmas to promote the Gala. Need to continue focus on selling sponsored tables. Discussed where proceeds to be applied. Decided to continue supporting Trail System as in past years. SS reported last year proceeds were over $7000 with expenses close to $3000. Proposed that this year budget be increased by $1000 with superior menu, decorations and activities.
4. Discussed Hometown Christmas plans. Town contact is B Oliver (emailed he was unable to attend tonight but to pass on information to him). JM offered use of currently vacant 'Home Hardware' space at back of Roosters. SS proposed we move Gingerbread House and Nativity displays back there (need to contact S Robinson who planned displays last year). Confer with town plans for who will be Santa, who is preparing children treat bags, what the fire dept staff will be doing that night, use of tables, etc. Need to confirm with school choir/band participation. RD to update webpage with current information. Sponsorship request letters to be sent out soon and bookings for the event can commence now. Need to confirm host locations for tables. SS suggested we request Surex to consider holding an open house of their new office on mainstreet duing this event.
5. Discussed Spring Trade Show plans. SS proposed we approach LDS Stake to hold event in conjunction with their Provident Living Fair on Sat 18 Apr 2014. RD will inquire if this might be agreeable/feasible. Propose we consider sharing the Ice Arena in this event with part for 'non-profit/info' and balance for traditional/commercial trade show displays.
6. Chamber members reported on impressions from public meeting yesterday at the Magrath School. SS noted importance of staying visible on the issue and need for communication between various interest groups. Need to find ways to continue this dialog.
7. Discussed Membership 2015/Newsletter plans. Need to invite new downtown business 'Susan's Place' to join Chamber and participate in chamber events like Hometown Christmas. With the chamber application should be request for business picture and a short 'about us' write up (about 300 words) – to be used on webpage and as needed in monthly printed chamber newsletters (a copy of newletters is included on webpage as well). RD requested PDF versions be forwarded from DT. DT noted extra help needed as part time editor to help prepare copy, acquire images and text, to check facts, and prepare final content. RD suggested we consider hiring this out. JM volunteered to assist in writing up 'Seen and Heard' content for newsletter(/website/social media).
Adjournment at 8pm
Minutes by RD of Soft Serve Direct